Chinmayam Bala Vihar
“To help children learn values with fun
To delight like the moon and shine like the sun “
– Swami Tejomayananda
First Day of Balavihar Session 2016-17 starts Sat. September 10th and Sun. September 11th. Session starts with Ganesha Puja led by children
2016-17 REGISTRATIONS NOW OPEN!!!!
We encourage you to pay by electronic check to avoid 2% additional charges.
Please note that the additional charges will not go toward Chinmaya mission funds.
Registration Coordinator: Seshu Cherukuru email@example.com
|Registration Guidelines||Bala Vihar Calendar|
To enable efficient processing, applicant registrations for Bala Vihar will only be accepted via the Online Registration System. Please read the following information carefully before registering online. The completed Registration with payment, via credit card or electronic check (ACH), is due by June 30, 2016.
If you have any questions, please email Seshu Cherukuru at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our mission is to provide individuals from any background the wisdom of Vedanta and the practical means for spiritual growth and happiness, enabling them to become positive contributors to society. In the weekly Bala Vihar classes, through absorbing stories, games, plays, and songs, children are provided a Vedantic education during their formative school years, emphasizing spirituality and values.
Every family, whether with children or without, whether an existing member or a new applicant for membership, is required to register using the Online Registration System. A child may not be enrolled without his/her parent’s enrollment and participation in the Adult Classes. Please note that at least one parent is required to attend the Adult Class while the children are in Bala Vihar. Children CANNOT be left at the Mission premises without a parent.
Age Requirement for Bala Vihar Children:
To participate in the 2016-17 Bala Vihar program, students should be entering grades Pre-K to 12. Pre-K students should be toilet trained and at least three years old as of September 1, 2016.
Cancellation and Refund Policy For cancellations of registrations on or before September 30, full refund of the pledge amount will be given. The Mission will not refund any credit card processing fee incurred by the registrant. A family canceling membership after September 30 will not be entitled to any refund of the pledges paid. For late registrants after September 30, they will have 15 days from the date of registration for cancellation with 50% refund. Thereafter, no refund will be made.
- The family's contact information provided to the Mission will be used only for internal purposes. If any of this information is to be used in flyers, websites or other publicity material, we will do so only with your permission.
- From time to time, for publicity purposes, CMWRC will publish photos of members taken at different Mission sessions or events, without identifying the members. If we have to identify the members, we will do so only with your prior permission.
MEMBERSHIP REGISTRATION INSTRUCTIONS – 2016-17
Chinmayam Bala Vihar program at Silver Spring, Maryland
Please follow the below instructions to register your family for the 2016-17 session.
SAVE entries after each step.
STEP 1- LOG IN
- Returning Members -
- If you registered for the 2015-16 Bala Vihar session, the same user ID and password can be used
- If you have forgotten your User ID and/or your Password, or you want to reset your password, click the appropriate link at the bottom of the Login screen
- If you have not logged in during 2015-16 Bala Vihar session, use the same user ID, but the password needs to be reset.
- New Members - Create a new login ID by clicking the button on the login page and follow the instructions on the next screen
STEP 2 - ENTER Family profile
- Returning Members - Ensure your family information, including all adults and children, is current in the system.
- New Members - Create a family record for each family member including all adults and children.
STEP 3- REGISTER
- Select your Session preferences in the Family Session Preference section
- Ensure grades (as of September 2016) of the children are entered accurately
- Select the program to be registered for each family member from the drop down menus.
- Review your selections
STEP 4 - PAYMENT
Payment should be made using one of the following online payment methods:
- Electronic check (ACH) with the Mission bearing the cost of the transaction fee.
- Credit card with the registrant bearing the transaction fee assessed by the third-party vendor (currently 2% but may be subject to change).
- Enter all the required fields and click the Accept
- An automated email will be generated to confirm your payment authorization from the secured payment site. This is not a confirmation of admission.
- The date of submission of your online payment will be considered as the date of registration. Admissions will be confirmed by early August 2016.
The total pledge amount due towards Membership, Bala Vihar, Language and Performing Arts is to be paid in full at the time of online registration. Payment can be made using one of the following methods: (1) Electronic check (ACH) with the Mission bearing the cost of the transaction fee (2) Through credit card with the registrant bearing the transaction fee assessed by the third-party vendor (currently 2%, but may be subject to change)
|Registration Pledge Schedule|
|Individual/Family Membership Pledge|
|Individual/Family Membership with No Bala Vihar Children||$360.00|
|Family Membership with One Child in Bala Vihar||$600.00|
|Family Membership with Two or more Children in Bala Vihar
(Example: Two Children - $780; Three Children - $960)
|$600.00 + $180 for each additional Child|
|Student/Youth CHYK Registration||$30.00|
|Language and Performing Arts Program : Full Academic Year (September through June)|
( Family membership required)
|First member of family||Each additional family member|
|Language (Gujarati, Hindi, Tamil and Telugu)||$200.00||$100.00|
|Performing Arts (Bharatnatyam, Carnatic Music, Kuchipudi, Tabla, and Mridangam||$200.00||$200.00|
|Yoga: Full Calendar Year (September through June)|
|** Membership and Bala Vihar (including language, Performing Arts) pledge is tax deductible contribution.|
|Late Registration Timings||Membership Pledge|
|September through December 31st||Regular pledge structure will apply|
|January 1st through April 30th||Family with No Children in Bala Vihar||$200.00|
|Family with Children in Bala Vihar||$310.00(One Child)||$310+ $110.00 for each additional child|
|Language and Performing Arts||$120.00(First Child)||$60.00(Each additional child)|
|May 1st through June 30th||Open for all new members. Donations welcome!!!|
CMWRC’s Chinmayam chapter at Silver Spring MD offers three identical Bala Vihar sessions. While registering, please provide your first and second choice of session preferences. If your first choice session is full, you are offered your second choice session.
|Session I||Saturday 10:00 am - 11:30 am|
|Session II||Sunday 10:00 am - 11:30 am|
|Session III||Sunday 1:30 pm - 3:00 pm|
Admission and Session Assignment:
Chinmaya Mission reserves the right to accept or reject admission requests. For admission and session assignment, we recommend early registration. Session assignment is on a first-come basis and subject to capacity limitations (class sizes, Chinmayam Hall Capacity, Parking Lot Capacity, etc.)
- The Bala Vihar Program at Kailas Niwas, Chinmaya Mission, 46 Norwood Road, Silver Spring, MD, 20905, starts promptly. Children are requested to be punctual, seated, and ready for Hanuman Chalisa followed by Arati well before the start time.
- Rewards will be given once a year for excellent attendance, behavior, and punctuality based on weekly records kept by respective teachers.
- Respect for self is respect for others. Children should be attentive and respectful in class and raise their hands and wait their turn before speaking.
- Absence from class for any reason must be notified to the respective teacher before the class. In case of sickness or an emergency, please notify as soon as possible. All teachers’ phone numbers and email addresses are listed in this notebook under “Teaching Staff.”
- Children should come prepared with their Bala Vihar notebook, books, pencil, and box of crayons or colored pens (for younger children).
- Children are expected to maintain good manners and discipline at all times. Running in the building is not allowed. Disturbing any of the books or materials in the classroom is not permitted.
- Gum chewing, drinks, or food are not allowed in the classrooms.
- Dress Code Boys: Kurta Pajama or full pants with kurta. No hats, jeans, or shorts. Girls: Salwar Kameez or long skirt with blouse. Wear a bindi. (Children or youth who are attending some other activity after Bala Vihar may bring a change of clothes with them.)
- With the grace of Bhagavan and Sri Gurudev, Bala Vihar instills in children an appreciation of the play of the Divine in our lives. Children will learn how Hindus have worshipped over the ages to become confident and fulfilled in life. The rich cultural heritage of India, including its teachings on moral values, is taught to children and youth at different levels, using the medium of stories, drama, arts and crafts, and discussion. The volunteer parent-teachers are trained and dedicated to teach India’s rich spiritual heritage to our next generation.
- At least one parent (if not both) must attend the concurrent Adult Class on Bhagavad Gita while the children’s classes are in session. This is very important.
- To ensure the quality of teaching, our class size is limited. Registrations received after the June deadline will be admitted on a first-come first-served basis. Additional requests for admission will be placed on a waiting list for the coming year. However, if a child currently attending the program shows a pattern of absenteeism, it will be necessary to let another child from the waiting list take his/her place, and the former child will then be placed on the waiting list for the following year.
- Once or twice a year the teachers will hold a parent/teacher conference during Common Time. The teachers will update parents as to the class progress and topics covered. This will hopefully facilitate more parental involvement with the child’s learning. Outside of the conference, in general parents are NOT permitted in class unless pre-arranged with the Teacher as well as the Bala Vihar Coordinator/Director. NON-Parents are NOT permitted in class under any circumstances. Our children learn best in interacting with other children and the teachers. BV Coordinators/Director routinely attend classes to evaluate curriculum.
- Please bring your children regularly and on time to all Bala Vihar classes and ensure that they are not absent from class for reasons other than sickness or an infrequent trip out of town. This is necessary for continuity of the learning process, as well as out of courtesy for the teacher whose weekly lessons necessitate much time and planning.
- Please notify the respective teacher before the class if your child is going to be absent for either of the above reasons. In case of sudden illness or emergency, please notify the teacher as soon as possible.
- All children should be well rested and have a nourishing breakfast before attending Bala Vihar. This makes learning easier.
- Please make sure children come prepared with their Bala Vihar notebook, My Prayers book, any other books in their syllabus, pencil, and crayons (for younger children) or colored pens.
- During Mission programs other than Bala Vihar (monthly Bhajan-nights, etc.), parents are responsible for their children’s behavior. Please help them respect the sanctity of Chinmayam by maintaining quiet during these programs, not allowing them to run in the building, keeping trash in trashcans, putting games away, etc.
- Please try to help children at home with the practice and memorizing of Stotrams and Prayers they are learning in class. (Audio tapes are available in the Bookstore for most prayers, if needed.)
- Feel free to discuss your child’s progress or needs, or any concerns or questions you may have, with the teacher or Bala Vihar Coordinator whenever you wish. We value parental involvement and input.
- Each classroom needs at least two parent-volunteers for helping to organize occasional field trips, socials, or other special activities. Please let the classroom teacher know if you would like to volunteer.
- Dress-Code for Bala Vihar: please see the preceding page. We also encourage parents to dress as an example. In winter we recommend children wear sweaters and socks.
- Chinmaya Mission will use an e-mail group to convey information about schedule changes, other programs, or snow dates. Please inform us if your e-mail address changes.
Please register early to increase the likelihood of being assigned to your first-choice session. Admission and session assignment will be confirmed to you by early August 2016.
Performing Arts and Language
Only children enrolled in Bala Vihar are eligible to enroll in Performing Arts and Language classes. Students must be at least 6 years of age as of September 1, 2016. Registered adult members can enroll in select Performing Arts classes subject to availability of seats after admitting children. For more information on Performing Arts and Language classes please visit our websitecmwrc.chinmayadc.org/chinmayam-chapter/
Sevaks (volunteers) are critical to the operation of the chapter and programs. Chinmaya Mission is a volunteer run organization. Every member is highly encouraged to serve the mission in their area of interests, based on their skills and expertise. Selfless dedicated service is the foundation for spiritual growth. Any amount of time and commitment offered in seva is welcome.
When registering, please ensure that you provide a current and accurate e-mail address. Please inform us promptly if there is any change to your contact e-mail or home address. Most communications between CMWRC and its members, including weather- related cancellations, are handled via e-mail.
|Graduation (Last Year)||Chinmaya Kids|
|Bala Vihar Flyer||Chinmayam Memories|
Interested in Teaching?
Please submit the completed form and email to: email@example.com.
Bala Vihar Teacher’s Manual
Program For Youth
Youth in family? Check out our program for Young adult(s) Chinmaya Yuva Kendra (CHYK)
Interested in helping CMWRC? Volunteer Services (Youth Seva)
Information changed or name or last name spelled incorrectly? Please login to the registration system and update your family profile. You can update Address, Phone Number, Emergency contact and Email Address. Please note that most of our communication to the members are via email. Please be sure to provide the correct email address for adult members who is designated as PRIMARY CONTACT for your family. It is important that you receive announcements on Chinmaya Mission programs. We strongly recommended that all adult members in your family provide the email address. This will allow our Sevak teachers and/or program coordinators (sevak) to communicate with you.
CMWRC is a non-profit organization. All Chinmaya Bala Vihar pledge are tax deductible. We will mail the tax statements to the address provided in registration system.