Bhiksha – a Seva
|SWAMIJI’s Bhiksha Calendar||Bhiksha Guidelines||Bhiksha Recipes|
Offering bhiksha to Swamiji affords you and your family a special time with Swamiji, an opportunity for you to introduce your close friends (who may not be members) to the spiritual environment of Chinmaya Mission. This is an opportunity to perform Seva, and introduce your children to the value of selfless, dedicated service.
To ensure that your bhiksha is indeed a quality time with Swamiji in a quiet setting, please follow the following steps:
- You may sign up for either weekday dinner or Saturday/Sunday lunch/dinner.
- During weekdays, bring food for Swamiji and for your family only. Occasionally, there might be one two or , but, in such an event, you will receive a call from the bhiksha coordinator.
- On weekend lunches, be prepared for 3 or 4 additional guests who may join the bhiksha upon Swamiji’s invitation.
- You may sign up for:
- A particular day in a month (e.g. first Monday of every month).
- Any day in the fifth week in a month (not every month has five weeks). So, this will not be a monthly commitment. Your turn will come every 2 or 3 months.
- Special occasions - to mark any special event in your life such as birthdays, anniversaries etc.
- Standby – Members staying close by the mission are encouraged to sign up as standby,to be available to substitute on a very short notice.
- How to Signup:
- If you click on the link above you can browse the current fillings in the bhiksha calendar. Days and meals with no associated names are “available”.
- Once you have decided on a day/date that is currently available, please email the firstname.lastname@example.org and you will receive confirmation from the bhiksha coordinator.
- If you have any questions, please contact the Bhiksha coordinators at email@example.com.
- Due to the very concept of Bhiksha, Swamiji cannot and therefore will not answer any questions regarding diet, health or bhiksha guidelines.
- If you have to be away on that day, you may contact another missionmember for a swap. But, please email the bhiksha coordinator the final arrangement, with a cc to your substitute.
- After a day or two, please check to see the calendar has been updated. If not, send a reminder to the bhiksha coordinator.
- Last minute cancellations are not acceptable except in extenuating circumstances.
- Day of Bhiksha : that day is YOUR responsibility
- On the day of your bhiksha, please arrive promptly. Lunch is to be served at 12 noon and dinner at 7:30 pm.
- Please ensure that the dining area and kitchen are tidied up after the bhiksha.
- If you are leaving any items behind in the refrigerator, they should be boxed, labeled and dated clearly.
- Please wrap up dinner bhiksha by 10:30 p.m. to give sufficient time after the meal for Swamiji to prepare for next day’s lecture or complete the work for that day.
- Please adhere to this schedule so that Swamiji can retire to the kuti at a reasonable time every day.
- Guidelines &Recipes:
- Due to health reasons, a diet that has low carbohydrate, low fat, low sodium and high protein is best for Swamiji.
- Please download the BHIKSHA GUIDELINES and follow them exactly in the interest of Swamiji’s health.
- For your convenience, several tried and delicious recipes for cooking tofu are listed on the Bhiksha Recipes page
- If you wish to offer Guru Dakshina along with the bhiskha, please make the check payable to: CMWRC and write "Bhiksha" on the memo.