Frederick – Youth Volunteer Procedures & Guidelines
GUIDELINES for Youth Volunteers: (Chinmaya Frederick)
Volunteering as a Youth Counselor at the Chinmaya Mission Summer Camp is a fun and rewarding experience involving a wide variety of tasks and responsibilities. The general camp day is from 8:45 AM – 5:45 PM, five days a week for TWO weeks.
- Volunteers are first and foremost expected to be role models for the younger children, exemplifying respect to elders, duty, and self-control.
The primary job of the volunteers is to look after children under their care and help the schedule flow as smoothly as possible while fostering a fun and caring environment for the camp participants.While there is opportunity to socialize with the other volunteers.
Required Qualifications and Conditions for Youth Volunteers:
- — Exemplify the Chinmaya Mission Pledge.
- * Ability to act as a good role model for all the Camp children.
- * Honor the dates once they have been committed to and accepted.
- * Be punctual.
- — Dress appropriately to set an example for the children.
- * Wear the volunteer uniform that will be provided.
- * Serve other children before serving oneself.
- * Follow instructions from teachers and other senior volunteers.
- — Outside private calls and Internet use are not permitted.
- * Ability to accept challenges.
- * Be friendly and helpful.
- — Strong organizational skills.
- * Exhibit leadership qualities.
- Attend the mandatory Youth Volunteer training -TBA
- * Attendance at the orientation sessions is mandatory.
- * Failure to comply with instructions will lead to dismissal.
*Selected applicants must attend a Mandatory Youth Volunteer Training on (TBA)
Duties for Youth Volunteers:
- * Class assistant—help class for the whole day.
- * Act as counselor and mentor for students whenever required.
- * Solve disputes between children to the extent you can handle. Cases that require the intervention of teachers/coordinator/director should be brought to their attention.
- * Responsible for the safety of the childrens’ group allotted to you throughout the day.
- * Supervise children during lunch time and supervise their cleaning of the area after lunch.
- * Serve snacks to children.
- * Help organize games and other sports for children.
- * Telephone and front desk coverage.
- * Promote a fun, positive, and inspiring camp experience for all.
- **NEW !!- SSL hours will be awarded by the camp committee based on performance and teacher reviews.
- Failure to comply with instructions will lead to dismissal.
- Attendance at the orientation sessions is mandatory.
LATE PICK-UP FEE POLICY :
When children are picked up late, the Volunteer Sevaks that must stay behind with your child are delayed from
going home to their own families and responsibilities. Children must be picked up promptly. A late fee of $5 per family, will be assessed, starting at 5:31pm, and $5 additional for every additional increment of 5 minutes (Ex. pick-up between 5:36pm – 5:41pm = $10, etc.). No exceptions will be made.