******REGISTRATION OPENING SOON!!!!******
YOUTH VOLUNTEER COUNSELOR GUIDELINES (Chinmayam, Silver Spring, MD)
Volunteering as a Youth Counselor at the Chinmaya Mission Summer Camp is a fun and rewarding experience involving a wide variety of tasks and responsibilities. The general camp day is from 8:30 am-5:30 pm (or 8:45 am – 5:45 pm), five days a week for four weeks. Volunteers are first and foremost expected to be role models for the younger children, exemplifying respect to elders, duty, and self-control. While there is opportunity to socialize with the other volunteers, the primary job of the volunteers is to look after children under their care and help the schedule flow as smoothly as possible while fostering a fun and caring environment for the camp participants.
Required qualifications and conditions for youth volunteers:
- All applicants must be currently attending Bala Vihar
- Ability to act as a good role model for all the Camp children.
- Honor the dates once they have been committed to and accepted.
- Be punctual.
- Dress appropriately to set example for children.
- Wear the volunteer T-Shirt that will be provided.
- Serve campers before serving oneself.
- Follow instructions from teachers and other senior volunteers.
- Outside private calls and Internet use are not permitted.
- Ability to accept challenges.
- Be friendly and helpful.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Exhibit leadership qualities.
- Attend the mandatory Youth Volunteer training.
Duties for youth volunteers:
- Class assistant—help class for the whole day.
- Act as counselor and mentor for students whenever required.
- Solve disputes between children to the extent you can handle. Cases that require the intervention of teachers/coordinator/director, should be brought to their attention.
- Responsible for the safety of the children’s group allotted to you throughout the day.
- Supervise children during lunch time and get them to clean the area after lunch.
- Watering the garden, weeding, and litter pickup.
- Telephone coverage.
- Front desk coverage.
- **NEW !!*** Applicants MAY NOT be selected to volunteer for all 4 weeks.
- **NEW !!*** SSL hours will be awarded by the camp committee based on performance and teacher reviews.
- Failure to comply with instructions will lead to dismissal.
- Attendance at the orientation sessions is mandatory..
- Applicants will be considered on the basis of selection and on a first come first serve basis. Apply early for better chances, as there are a limited number of openings and all others will be wait listed.
- The decision of the Mission is final and no further appeals will be entertained.
- Cell phones and other personal electronic devices will be kept in the office room under lock and key during camp hours. Any violation will be suitably punished.
Opens on Monday 2/20/2017