CMWRC INTERFAITH ACTIVITIES
Understanding and educating about how that which exists (divinity) is described and worshipped in Hindu religion, engaging with groups willing to discuss their religion or point of view openly, and promoting community relationships, leading to respect for all is the goal of Chinmaya Mission Washington Regional Center’s (CMWRC) outreach and interfaith efforts.
For questions, comments, or additional information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Chinmaya Mission nationwide has partnered with Hindu American Foundation in the Dharma Ambassador program. This program provides training for presenting Hindu religion authentically, within the bounds of First Amendment, and in a non-denominational manner.
To request a speaker, please email email@example.com
- July and August 2019: presentation on Hinduism at all three workshops on “Understanding Religious Bias” for MCPS teachers
- March 2019: Two presentations at Walter Johnson High School; Bethesda MD
- March 2019: Watkins Mill High School; Gaithersburg MD
- March 2019: J. H. Blake High School; Silver Spring MD
- November 2018: Jemicy School; Owings Mill MD
- November 2018: Two presentations at South Lakes High School; Reston VA
- October 2018: J. H. Blake High School; Silver Spring MD
- October 2018: presentation for Hinduism in professional development class “Religious literacy for Educators” held at Chinmaya Mission Washington Regional Center; Silver Spring MD
- August 2018: Two presentations at Walter Johnson High School; Bethesda MD
- July 2018: Frederick Community College; Frederick MD
- Understanding Hinduism: basic concepts explained
- Understanding Hinduism: basic questions answered
- Hinduism poster
Above two and additional recommendations are available at:
A forum for people interested in studying Hindu religion deeply is:
United Hindu Jain temples (UHJT) is a coalition of a large number of Hindu and Jain temples in the DC metro area. It organizes Diwali Mela annually.CMWRC is an active participant in the coalition.
CMWRC is a member of Interfaith Conference of Metropolitan Washington (IFC) through its membership in UHJT.
WIROC at IFC is a regional initiative designed to complement local initiatives for providing rapid-response to hate crimes and to avoid such crimes in the future through educational efforts aimed at reducing religious ignorance. CMWRC is among the founding members of this initiative.
Montgomery County Public School system has a Faith committee working group (FCWG). Education subcommittee of FCWG has members from several faiths working to enhance quality of religious education, assure respect for all religious traditions and secure an environment free of discrimination, bullying and harassment. Hindu representative on this committee is a member of CMWRC.
CMWRC has joined Montgomery county faith alliance for climate solutions and has undertaken initiatives such as setting up a Rainscapes garden and composting at large events.
- September 22, 2019: Silver Spring interfaith group visit of ~50 individuals to CMWRC, Silver Spring center for learning about Hinduism and small group discussions.
- October 3, 2019: Visit of ~30 Montgomery county teachers and staff to CMWRC, Silver Spring center for learning about Hinduism as part of the professional development class “Religious literacy for Educators”.
- October 13, 2019: Montgomery county unity walk.
- October 28, 2019: Candid conversations on Race
- Ongoing IFC dinner dialogues