We offer Language classes for children enrolled in the Bala Vihar program.
Bhartiya Bhasha (भारतीय भाषा) is the official name coined by Swami Dheerananda for Chinmayam Language Curriculum. Since its inception in late 1990s the current program has grown and graduated many students.
12:00 pm – 1:00 pm
|Hindi Paathshala||Sunday||12:00 pm – 1:00 pm||In-Person|
|Hindi Paathshala||Sunday||8:45 am – 9:45 am||In-Person|
|Telugu Bala Siksha||Saturday||12:00 pm – 1:00 pm||Online|
|Sanskrit (Adults)||Sunday||8:30 am – 9:45 am||In-Person|
|Tamil||Sunday||12:00 pm – 1:00 pm||Online|
|Gujarati (Beginners)||Tuesday||7:00 pm – 7:45 pm||Online|
|Gujarati (Beginners)||Tuesday||7:50 pm – 8:35 pm||Online|
|Gujarati (Intermediate)||Wednesday||8:30 pm – 9:15 pm||Online|
Please click on the appropriate tab below to get more information about the teachers and the curriculum for each language. We also request you to read guidelines and adhere to the rules specified.
If you have any questions or need more information, please contact our language coordinator Anil Kishore.
Gujarati, Hindi and Telugu are now available for individuals who are not registered Chinmaya Mission members and who are interested in learning one of our offered languages. All children should be in grade 1 or higher in school to be considered for language classes. Sanskrit is available for registered adult Chinmaya Mission members. Information for the different languages and registration links are available by clicking the buttons below.
The Hindi program is approved by Montgomery County Public Schools for elective language credit. This credit is available to High School students (0.5 credit for each year grades 9-12)
Curriculum for all levels
Textbooks are approved by the Govt of India, the National Council of Educational Research & Training (NCERT). Each level involves a thorough coverage of selected chapters, exercises, and accompanying handouts and homework material.
For each level, the child must have
- Hindi Paathshala (Binder), provided free of charge to new students for the first time only, can be purchased if lost
- NCERT Textbooks (Bala Bharti, Rim Jhim)
- Teach Yourself Hindi by Mohini Rao
- English to Hindi Dictionary
- Hindi to English Dictionary
All of the above are available for purchase. Handouts and other texts provided by the teacher. For information on Hindi Classes, please email email@example.com
Children MUST bring all Hindi Paathshala binders, books, dictionaries, writing material to class EVERY TIME.
- Build your own Dictionary: A guide to conversation.
- Grammar included in the respective text.
- Hindi as a means to introduce students to some basic History and geography of India.
In addition please note that students arriving later will be asked to stay upstairs.
Level Specific Curriculum
- Dictionary building
- The default homework for each class is what is in the back of each lesson.
- Introduction to simple sentences, number counting, days of week, months of year etc.
- Word reorganization from the respective text books reading and writing.
- Teachers will reinforce throughout the curriculum – all levels
- Buy a marble notebook for your child. Name it as Dictionary for self-improvement. Each child must write down all the words that he /she knows so far.
Class Test and certificates
The SECOND weekend of each month is set aside for Exams in class. It will cover lessons taught in that month. Teachers will prepare exams ahead of time. Exams will not be repeated. Students will be awarded certificates of participation of the level completed. If two levels are completed in a given year then both levels will be indicated on the certificate. For students that complete three or more levels, the certificate will indicate participation in two of the higher levels.
2. Hindi Paathshala is approved by Montgomery County Public Schools (MCPS) for elective Hindi (Outside Language/Culture) credit. This requires 80% attendance (punctuality and presence), 80% or greater score in 80% of exams offered to students in 9-12 grade. Each year 0.5 credit is posted to the student’s transcript for the 4 years of High School. Since this is a requirement, ALL students must adhere to the expectations. There are NO EXCEPTIONS.
Information for Parents of all levels
ATTENDANCE RULES: Any unexcused absence from the class will not be acceptable. No more than three excused absences from the class are allowed for the school year. It is the responsibility of the parent to contact the respective teacher(s) directly for any excused absence. You may do so by sending email firstname.lastname@example.org. The student will be removed from the curriculum after 3 absences
Hindi Textbooks (Available from Book Store for Hindi Paathshala students only)
- Bala Bharti, 1-5, Rim Jhim- Part 1, 2 and 3
- Conversational Hindi – Teach Yourself Hindi, by Mohini Rao
- Hindi with Harry – written by Rajeev Gopal
- Let’s Begin – Level 1 – Hindi Learning Series – by Rajiv Mahajan –
- Hindi Paathshala Binder – Prepared and Maintained by Class Teachers
- Additional poems, folk songs and reading material are provided by the teachers to the students to supplement language skills.
- Some activities will involve Arts group students. Detailed class outline will be handed out in class during September and as the year progresses.
The prescribed textbooks are approved by Govt. of India, the National Council of Educational Research & Training.
Hindi External Program
Hindi Paathshala is now available for individuals who are not Chinmaya Mission members or students, and who are interested to learn Hindi. All students should be in Grade 1 or higher in school to be considered for Language Classes. You can register by clicking the appropriate registration button below.
Please send inquiries via email to: email@example.com
Anil Darbari (Hindi Coordinator), Anil Kishore (Language Coordinator), Kamal Dewan, Neetu Gupta, Savita Nigam, Rajeev Gopal, Reena Gopal, Ritu Sachdev, Vipin Sahijwani, Vishal Poddar
Hindi Paathshala may use High School students (12th graders) to help with teaching only after they have successfully gone through the Hindi Paathshala curriculum.
Past Performances by Hindi Paathshsala
- Sunderakanda – September, 2002
- Holi Aayee Re – Holi 2000
- Jhanda – June 2000
- Aha Aaj Diwali Aayee – Diwali 2000
- Ae mere mann – June 2015
- Hum honge kamyab – June 2016
- Hum honge kamyab – June 2017
- Ae Watan – June 2019
Annual Performances are mandatory for all students – the dates are shared at the open house, in classes, by email, and also on the Bala Vihar calendar.
Gujarati Vidhylay is our online Gujarati Language program. Divided into five levels, our aim is to help children (and adults) speak the language with ease. Gujarati language classes are available at Beginner and Intermediate levels. As they progress, reading and writing is introduced and our intermediate level students sometimes start writing short letters to parents and grandparents.
Although we do attempt to keep structured lessons, recognizing the differences amongst learners, we modify our classes.
મધુર ગીરા ગુજરાતી- Come join us and learn “Sweet Language Gujarati”.
If you have any questions or need more information, please contact our Gujarati language coordinator Uday Nanavati.
Gujarati External Program
Gujarati is now available for individuals who are not Chinmaya Mission members or students. All students should be in Grade 1 or higher in school to be considered for Language Classes. You can register by clicking the appropriate registration button below.
Beginner Sanskrit for Adults
Sundays, 8:45 am – 9:45 am, in-person at Chinmaya Mission, Silver Spring Center
This course is for students of Vedanta who want to develop a deeper understanding of Bhagavad Gita and other scriptures through a better knowledge of Sanskrit. The course requires an ability to read Devanagari script.
The course covers the following topics: Review of Devanagari alphabet; Parts of speech and the Sanskrit sentence; Nouns, Gender, and Cases; Person and Numbers; Verbs and Tenses; Simple sentences using gender, number, tense and declensions; Combination (Sandhi).
The medium of the course is English. The pace of the course will be tailored to the needs of the class.
Instructor: Praveen Kumar
If you have any questions or need more information about Tamil language classes, please contact our language coordinator Anil Kishore.
You can register by clicking the registration button below.
The class is organized in fun learning environment. Students from all background and ages are welcome!
- Telugu Speaking
- Rendaksharmula perlu
- Songs and verses for memorizing
- Maatelugu talliki
Additional poems and reading material are provided by the teachers to the students. Detailed class outline will be handed out in class during September and as the year progresses.
Gayathri Sastry, Sreenath Nampally
For information on Telugu Classes please send an email to our language coordinator Anil Kishore at firstname.lastname@example.org
Student Testing/Grading Policy/Performance
The classes are organized so those students on the same level of the learning curve (regardless of their grade in school) are in the same class. In Hindi and Telugu, we have standard textbooks or teaching material that we will be following. Please make sure you get this information from the teacher. Your help in having them read at home and quizzing them will help their vocabulary and grammar.
Please go through this information carefully and spend some time with your child in understanding these instructions.
Please make sure that your child